According to the Washington Post, "Car theft continues to plummet" -- dropping by almost half from 2005 to 2011 in Maryland, Washington and Virginia. This seems to be due to improved automobile technology and the fact that police now have better tools to combat vehicle theft.
Even so, auto theft is still a significant problem.
A recent AAA motor club report, compiling federal and insurance industry statistics, shows that about half of all stolen cars were unlocked and a vehicle theft still happens every 43 seconds in the U.S.
What vehicle makes and models are popular with car thieves?
It varies, state to state. In Washington, it's the Dodge Caravan. The Jeep Cherokee is the thief's choice in Virginia, while in Maryland it's the Honda Accord.
Are you wondering how you can better protect your car?
Take a look at these tips that we found on Anne Arundel Community College's website. They were directed at students on campus, but they are just as meaningful to all of us.
- Install a vehicle alarm or mechanical lock for steering wheel or ignition.
- Lock doors and leave windows rolled up.
- Always activate auto alarms or anti-theft devices.
- Keep valuables out of sight. Displaying valuable items in plain sight invites theft even if the vehicle is locked. Don’t advertise the types of equipment you have in your vehicle.
- Place valuable items in the trunk – not the front or back seats.
- Know the license number, year, make and model of your vehicle.
- Do not leave money, checkbooks or credit cards in the vehicle at any time.
Would your auto insurance cover auto theft?
If you have not done so recently, maybe it's time to check with your insurance agent to be sure that you have the appropriate insurance in place. Don't wait until the worst happens only to find that your coverage is incomplete.
Here at the William M. Sparks Insurance Agency in Lutherville - Timonium, Maryland (MD), our experienced agents welcome your inquiries. We can review your auto insurance policy and help you explore your coverage options if necessary. Feel free to contact us at your convenience.